The Objectives of Life Line Chaplaincy are:
1. To be available to help first responders deal with traumatic events and scenarios, such as:
- Sandy Hook/Newtown and similar events;
- Terrorist Attacks;
- Loss of life (particularly involving children) from:
- Death of immediate family members (Life Line Chaplaincy has served scores of first-responder families who lost loved ones from 2013-2017);
- Serious Illness;
- Traumatic investigations:
– Computer Crimes Against Children (child porn);
– Child abuse/neglect;
– Sexual trafficking of children;
- Serious work-related injury;
- Suicide of family member;
- Coping with PTSD, through one-on-one listening, but also bringing in guest speakers/counselors for formal and informal gatherings.
2. To cultivate relationships with first responders so that they feel comfortable calling when there is a need by:
- Going on “ride alongs” with officers;
- Meeting informally over breakfast/lunch;
- Keeping regular hours at HQ.
3. To strengthen marriages and families by:
- Providing online marriage resources for first responders and spouses;
- Distributing free literature designed to help spouses understand each other;
- Offering free marriage/family seminars for first responders.
4. To provide a “Ministry of Presence” by just being on site with first responders when they encounter a crisis scenario.
5. To develop a network of trained chaplains available to serve the various municipal departments in SW Fairfield and SE Westchester Counties as volunteers or in part-time capacities.
6. To cultivate an atmosphere of respect and appreciation in local communities for their first responders.