The Objectives of Life Line Chaplaincy are:
1. To be available to help first responders deal with traumatic events and scenarios, such as:
- Active Shooter and Mass casualty events;
- Terrorist Attacks;
- Loss of life (particularly involving children) from:
- Death of immediate family members (Life Line Chaplaincy has served scores of first-responder families who have lost loved ones);
- Serious Illness;
- Traumatic investigations:
– Internet Crimes Against Children (child porn);
– Child abuse, neglect, and homicide;
– Sexual trafficking of children;
- Serious work-related injury;
- Suicide of family member;
- Any event that can lead to PTSD or Moral Injury.
2. To cultivate relationships with first responders so that they feel comfortable calling when there is a need by:
- Going on “ride alongs” with officers;
- Meeting informally over breakfast/lunch;
- Keeping regular hours at HQ.
3. To provide a “Ministry of Presence” by just being on site with first responders when they encounter a crisis scenario.
4. To develop a network of trained chaplains available to serve the various municipal departments in Connecticut as volunteers or in part-time capacities.
5. To cultivate an atmosphere of respect and appreciation in local communities for their first responders.